Don’t lose any time and money ordering a takeaway when you can follow our Nando’s special rice recipe! Nando’s Spicy Rice Recipe is a one-pot rice recipe packed with flavor that you can easily cook at home. It’s perfectly paired with our Peri Peri Nandos Chicken, a side to most main dishes or simply eaten as it is!
Yields: 4 portion
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Total: 25 mins
What is Nando’s Spicy Rice?
If you never heard about this dish, it’s one of the most popular side dishes at Nando’s Portuguese restaurant. Sometimes it’s also called the Peri Peri rice since it goes well with Nando’s Peri Peri chicken.
This rice is a mix of onions, peppers, and peas spiced up with turmeric and cumin making this a vibrant, healthy, and also very intriguing dish. Just pair it with seafood, chicken, tofu, or chickpeas for a Nandos spicy rice loaded with lean protein.
❌ You forgot to bookmark this RECIPE
❌ Not having all ingredients
❌ Feeling lazy to cook
❌ Never cooked before
✔️ Easy one-pot recipe
✔️ Faster than Nando’s delivery
✔️ Bulk cooking to serving throughout the week
✔️ A crowd-pleaser with friends and family
- Olive Oil – I find olive oil is the best choice but you can choose your preferred vegetable oil
- Water – The ingredient found in every rice recipe.
- Vegetable Stock – I prefer homemade but you can use even chicken stock if you prefer.
- White rice – The recipe uses white rice but I admit that I love to use Basmati from time to time.
- Onion – White or red doesn’t make a difference in the taste.
- Red Pepper – The Red Pepper together with the Turmeric gives the recipe that vibrant color.
- Peas – Frozen peas can be added without the need of thawing
- Chilli Flakes – Add chilli flakes or cayenne if you prefer. I like it mild and so I add 1/4 teaspoon. But if you like “hot” then add at least 1/2 teaspoon.
- Cumin, Turmeric, and Paprika – The perfect trio of spices that enhance all the other flavors
How to Make a Spicy Rice?
To make a Spice Rice like Nando’s recipe is quick and easy once you have the recipe and all ingredients! In short this is all that is needed
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Fry pepper and onion for 2 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add all the dried spices and cook for a further minute.
- Add the rice together with the hot water, and stock to the pan.
- Add the peas and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Lower the heat and leave it to cook slowly covering the lid for around 30 minutes.
- Mix the rice regularly to ensure the rice doesn’t stick.
- Check the rice is perfectly cooked and serve.
You might like more…
I suggest you try these other recipes:
Nando's Rice Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cup water
- 1 vegetable stock cube I prefer homemade
- 1¼ cup white rice 225g
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 120 g peas
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes You can use cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Fry pepper and onion for 2 minutes or until onion is translucent
- Add all the dried spices and cook for further minute
- Add rice, hot water and stock to the pan
- Add the peas and bring mixture to boil
- Turn the heat to lowest possible and leave it to cook slowly covering the lid for around 30 minutes.
- Mix the rice regularly to ensure the rice doesn't stick.
- Check the rice is perfectly cooked and serve