Love Nando’s hot sauce? Then try our easy Peri Peri Sauce recipe! It’s simple, flavorful, and perfect to pair with chicken, beef, seafood, and even crudités. This magic in a bottle is ready in less than 10 minutes!
If you want a simpler recipe or you’re missing the Fire Roasted Peppers I suggest you have a look at our Nando’s Red Pepper Dip recipe.
Yields: 4 portion
Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 5 mins Total: 10 mins
What is Nando’s peri peri sauce?
This hot sauce is made from the African Bird’s Eye Chilli grown in African soil like Mozambique. Also called Piri Piri sauce, the meaning of peri or piri in Swahili is pepper.
A good Piri Piri sauce is hot and spicy and makes an amazing marinade, seasoning, dip, and accompaniment. It can be used with chicken, meat, fish, tofu, and vegetables – just pour over the sauce and you make the most amazing dish in a couple of minutes.
Nando’s peri peri sauce ingredients
The secret ingredients are nothing but the
- African Bird’s Eye Chilies (we use Thai hot chilies or cayenne peppers),
- Fire Roasted Peppers
- Garlic & Onion
- Olive Oil & Sherry Vinegar
- Oregano & Sweet Paprika
- Salt & Pepper
Why this is better than Nando’s Sauce?
I know everyone says it but … it’s true! This homemade peri peri sauce recipe is super healthy using clean ingredients that make it so flavorful. Also, a big plus is that it’s super incredibly easy to make.
CONS of homemade sauce
❌ Need to stock on good chilies
❌ The sauce finishes in a giffy
❌ Needs a good blender
❌ Prefer the store-bought even if it doesn’t taste as good
Homemade is BETTER
✔️ Easy one-pot recipe
✔️ Tastier than Nandos Peri Peri sauce
✔️ Bulk cooking to serving throughout the week
✔️ A crowd-pleaser with friends and family
How to make the Nandos Hot sauce recipe?
Heat the oil in a pan and saute onions, garlic and paprika until softened (5 minutes)
Add all the ingredients to a blender including the sauteed onion in Step 1 and blend until nearly smooth.
Serve with chicken, meat, fish, or raw veggies.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- ½ medium red onion diced
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 2 large fire roasted peppers
- 3 Thai red chilis seeds removed and finely chopped
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- In a pan, heat the oil, then saute the onions, garlic and paprika until softened.
- Add sauted mixture together with all other ingredients to a blender, and blend until nearly smooth.
- Serve with your favorite peri peri dish!
- Add more or less chili peppers if you have other preferences over a medium-spicy sauce.
- If you’re using jarred fire-roasted peppers, discard the liquid.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Sauces
- Cuisine: South African
Keywords: peri peri chicken sauce, peri peri sauce, piri piri sauce