These snickerdoodles without cream of tartar have a chewy, sweet soft center, and are puffier and ultra-yummy around the edges. Bet you can’t eat JUST ONE!
My best substitute for cream of tartar in snickerdoodles is baking powder which is perfect if you want to bake these delicacies but you’re missing cream of tartar.
Yields: 36 cookies
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 10 mins Total: 20 mins
WHY IS CREAM OF TARTAR USED IN SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES?
The cream of tartar helps is used to give that perfect chewy texture to the snickerdoodles we all know and love! Additionally, it adds a hint of flavor.
Here you’ll see that you can substitute the cream of tartar in snickerdoodles with baking soda! The result is still AWESOME!
SNICKERDOODLES WITHOUT CREAM OF TARTAR INGREDIENTS
This ingredient list is made up entirely of items you probably already have in your pantry especially if you enjoy cooking!
- Butter – 1 cup of salted butter that has been softened and at room temperature.
- Sugar – 1½ cup of white granulated sugar.
- Eggs – 2 large eggs.
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon of salt to balance everything.
- Baking powder – 2 teaspoons of baking powder. This is the secret ingredient for omitting cream of tartar.
- Flour – 2¾ cups of all-purpose flour that has been spooned and leveled.
- Sugar – ¼ cup of granulated sugar, for the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Cinnamon – 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon for that classic snickerdoodle flavor!
HOW TO DO SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES WITHOUT CREAM OF TARTAR (30 mins)?
I assure you that you won’t even miss the cream of tartar!
This recipe will make about 36 cookies that you can fill 3 boxes!
- Preheat. To get started, preheat the oven to 400 ° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream the wet ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup of room-temperature butter and 1 1/2 cups of sugar. Next add the 2 eggs, one at a time, and mix.
- Add the dry ingredients. Then, stir in the 2 teaspoons of baking powder and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Slowly mix in the 2¾ cups of flour until a dough forms.
- Make the cinnamon sugar coating. In a small bowl, gently mix ¼ cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Set it aside.
- Roll up the cookies. Gather some of the dough and then roll it into 1¼-inch balls. After each ball has formed, roll them in cinnamon sugar and then lay them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake. Bake in the center of the center rack of your preheated oven at 400 ° F for 10 minutes. The bottom of the cookies should be a light golden color when done.
- Cool down. Once cooked, he takes the snickerdoodles out of the oven. Allow cooling.
These cookies are great to add to a gift basket, or just to enjoy with your loved ones!
- To Store: Cookies can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a week. However, they keep best for the first few days.
- To freeze: Unused dough can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 2-3 months.
MORE SWEET RECIPES
Make sure to take your cookies out of the oven when the edges are golden brown, but the center is still soft.
There are a couple of reasons your snickerdoodles may have flattened out like using old baking powder losing its ability to lift up the cookies but can also be that you baked your cookies using a lower temperature than recommended.
Snickerdoodles Without Cream of Tartar
- 1 cup butter, salted softened, at room temperature
- 1½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs, large
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2¾ cups flour all purpose
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- To get started, preheat the oven to 400 ° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the butter and sugar. Next, add the eggs, one at a time, and mix.
- Next, add the yeast and salt. Slowly add the flour to form a dough.
- In a small bowl, gently mix ¼ cup of sugar and cinnamon. Set it aside.
- Gather some of the dough and then roll it into 1¼-inch balls. After forming each ball, roll them in cinnamon sugar and then lay them on the prepared pan.
- Bake in the center of the center rack of your preheated oven at 400 ° F for 10 minutes. The bottom of the cookies should be a light golden color when cooked.
- Once cooked, remove the snickerdoodles from the oven and allow too cool.