The Salmon and White Fish Chowder recipe is our family favorite for wintery Thursday nights when we usually eat fish. This healthy fish chowder is good for all the family, adults, and kids alike. My daughter calls it milk soup since the recipe contains milk. As regards, kids, especially babies, and toddlers make sure to clean well the fish before serving.
Yields: 4 portions
Prep Time: 3 mins Cook Time: 25 mins Total: 28 mins
What is white fish chowder?
This white fish chowder recipe is a main dish suitable for various dietary requirements with some adjustments. In particular, using sweet potatoes makes the dish very filling but still keeps the calories on the lower side. The chowder is full of protein and uses a fraction of the fat used in other chowders by replacing the cream with milk.
Why does this recipe work?
✔️ Quick and easy to cook
✔️ Healthier Fish Chowder using a lower amount of fats
✔️ No need to clean fish as we use fish fillets
✔️ Tasty results
Salmon and white fish chowder recipe
This is a very simple recipe and all you need is a tray used for grilling the fish and a pot in which to fry the vegetables and then cook the chowder.
Here are the ingredients for 4 portions of sides.
- Salmon – 4 fillets
- White fish – 4 fillets
- Sweet Potato – 1 large
- Carrot – 1 large
- Celery – 1/2 cup
- Lemon zest – 1, grated
- Parsley, 5 tbsp
- Onion – 1 large
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt 5g
Liquids, Oils & Sauces
- Milk – 480ml
- Water – 480ml
- Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
How to make salmon and whitefish chowder
Preparing the fish and vegetables
- Do you want a nice dish of healthy fish chowder? My trick is to cut the vegetables very small but leave the fish fillets as a whole without breaking them into chunks.
Cooking the chowder
- Heat the oil and fry the onion until it turns translucent. Add all the other vegetables (carrots, celery, potato, and corn) and saute for 5 minutes on high heat.
- Add the water together with the homemade vegetable stock (optional), and the lemon zest. Cover and let it simmer for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- In the meantime, grill the fish and remove the skin when ready.
- Finally, add the milk and flour if you want it creamy, and place the fish in the pot either as whole-filled or in chunks as you prefer. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve it hot leaving the fish as whole pieces or cut into chunks. Top with the minced parsley.
- Try to leave the fish in whole pieces
- Cut all the vegetables very small
- More spicy. Use more pepper.
- Packed with veggies. Add more vegetables such as carrots and corn.
You might like more…
More healthy salmon recipes and soups to try!
- Maple Dijon Glazed Air Fryer Salmon and Potatoes
- Red Salmon Curry with Goji Berries
- Sweet Potato and Chickpeas Soup
- Salmon and Prawn Risotto
Creamy white fish chowder with cod, salmon, sweet potatoes, corn, onions, carrots, lemon zest and milk. This easy fish recipe is outrageously delicious, healthy and a great recipe for all the family.
- 4 fillets White fish (cod, haddock), cubed
- 4 fillets Salmon, cubed
- 1 large Carrot, diced
- 0.5 cup Celery, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 Lemon zest, grated
- 5 tbsp Parsley, minced
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 1 large Sweet potato, chopped
- 2 cubes Vegetable stock, homemade, (optional)
- 60 ml Flour, any (optional)
- 5 g Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 480 ml Milk
- 480 ml Water
- Saute vegetables Heat the oil and fry the onion until it turns translucent. Add the other vegetables and saute for 5 minutes on high heat.
- Simmer Add water, vegetable stock, and lemon zest. Cover and let it simmer for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Grill fish In the meantime, grill the fish and remove the skin
- Mix and slow cook Add milk and flour to the soup together with the fish and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve Serve it hot leaving the fish as whole pieces or cut into chunks. Top with the minced parsley.
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Main Course, Soup
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Irish
Keywords: cod, salmon, salmon white fish chowder, white fish chowder, white fish soup