Indulge in the exquisite Jamie Oliver Pumpkin Soup with Coconut Milk, where sautéed pumpkin, hints of chilli powder, and a symphony of fresh herbs converge. This soup introduces a modern twist to the comforting classic, harmonizing the creamy richness of coconut milk with the earthy sweetness of pumpkin. Also, this recipe can be adjusted into a Butternut Squash Soup simply by replacing pumpkin with butternut squash.
Why You’ll Like It
There are several reasons why you should give this Pumpkin Soup a try:
- Warm and Creamy. The combination of pumpkin and coconut milk creates a creamy and luscious texture. The addition of ginger adds a subtle warmth and depth of flavour.
- A Kick of Spice. The touch of chilli powder adds a gentle kick, making each spoonful exciting. The fresh herbs and lime juice garnish add a burst of freshness and brightness to the soup.
- Easy. This recipe is easy to make and requires simple ingredients, making it accessible to everyone.
- Plant-based. It is a perfect dish for vegetarians and vegans, as it is made with organic vegetable stock and coconut milk.
Jamie Oliver Pumpkin Soup Recipe
What is the Pumpkin Soup with Coconut Milk?
This velvety smooth Pumpkin Soup with Coconut Milk is made from fresh pumpkin, shallots, ginger, and a blend of aromatic herbs. It is cooked in flavorful vegetable stock and enriched with creamy coconut milk and chili powder, giving a unique twist to the traditional recipe. The coconut milk brings a creamy and tropical flavor, while the ginger adds subtle warmth. The soup is then garnished with fresh herbs, creating a beautiful presentation. This recipe is a perfect choice for a cozy dinner or a comforting lunch on a chilly day.
- Pumpkin – 1 kg / 2.2 lbs pumpkin or butternut squash
- Shallots – 2 shallots, chopped
- Ginger – 75 g / 2.6 oz ginger, finely grated
- Fresh Herbs – a few sprigs of chives or mint, chopped
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – for cooking
- Organic Vegetable Stock – 1 litre / 4 cups vegetable stock
- Coconut Milk – 125 ml / 1/2 cup coconut milk, plus extra to serve
- Chilli Powder – 1/2 tablespoon chilli powder
- Lime – 1 lime
- Make sure to deseed and cut the pumpkin into rough pieces before cooking.
- Grate the ginger finely to ensure it blends well into the soup.
- Use extra virgin olive oil for cooking to enhance the flavours.
- Simmer the soup for around 40 minutes to allow the flavours to meld together.
- Blend the soup in a food processor until smooth for a velvety texture.
- Add a teaspoon of curry powder for a hint of Indian-inspired flavour.
- Garnish the soup with toasted pumpkin seeds for added crunch.
- For a creamier texture, substitute half of the vegetable stock with coconut cream.
- Experiment with different herbs such as basil or coriander for a unique twist.
How to Serve Jamie Oliver Pumpkin Soup with Coconut Milk
This Pumpkin Soup with Coconut Milk is best served hot and garnished with fresh herbs, a squeeze of lime juice, and a drizzle of coconut milk. Pair it with crusty bread or toasted croutons for a satisfying meal. You can also serve it as an appetizer before a main course or as a light lunch with a side salad. The vibrant colours and flavours of this soup make it an impressive dish to serve to guests or enjoy on a cosy night.
Storing the Pumpkin / Butternut Squash Soup
If you have any leftovers, store the soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave until piping hot before serving. You can also freeze the soup in individual portions for up to 3 months. Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and reheat as desired.
You might like more…
- Mary Berry Tomato Soup
- Mary Berry Parsnip Soup
- Carrots and Sweet Potato Soup
- Mary Berry Celeriac Soup
- Red Lentil Dahl
Sautéed Pumpkin Soup Jamie Oliver with Coconut Milk
- 1 kilogram pumpkin (or butternut squash) deseeded and cut roughly into pieces
- 2 shallots chopped
- 75 grams ginger peeled and grated finely
- a few sprigs of fresh herbs such as chives, mint, and chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 litre organic vegetable stock
- 125 millilitres of coconut milk plus extra to serve
- ½ tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 lime
- Combine the pumpkin, shallots, ginger, and a bit of oil in a large saucepan.
- Cook them together until they become soft.
- Pour in the stock, coconut milk, and chili powder.
- Add seasoning, and then bring the mixture to a boil.
- Simmer for around 40 minutes.
- Use a food processor to blend the mixture until smooth.
- Serve it with fresh herbs, a squeeze of lime juice, and a drizzle of coconut milk.