Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 30 mins Total: 40 mins Yields: 8
As the days grow cooler, there’s nothing quite like a bowl of hearty soup to comfort and nourish the soul. The curried parsnip soup is a dish that beautifully combines the sweetness of parsnips with the subtle kick of curry.
You might like more…
MORE SOUP RECIPES:
- Mary Berry Celery Root Soup
- Mary Berry Chicken Soup
- Mary Berry Parsnip Soup
- Mary Berry Tomato Soup
- Carrots and Sweet Potato Soup
- Red Lentil Dahl
- 30g (1oz) butter
- 750g (1 1/2 lb) parsnips, coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons mild curry powder
- 1.8 litres (3 pints) of vegetable or chicken stock
- salt and black pepper
- 200ml (7 fl oz) single cream
- fresh chives to garnish
- Melt the butter and then add the diced parsnips, chopped onion, and crushed garlic.
- Cook this mixture gently, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until the onion is softened but not browned.
- Add the curry powder, stirring and cooking for an additional minute.
- Add the stock and season with salt and pepper.
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil while stirring, then cover and let it simmer gently for approximately 20 minutes or until the parsnips become tender.
- Transfer the soup to a food processor or blender and blend until it achieves a smooth consistency.
- Pour the pureed soup back into the cleaned saucepan, gently warming it while stirring constantly.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Add the single cream and gently reheat the soup.
- Serve immediately, garnishing each serving with freshly chopped chives.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Lunch/Snack
- Method: Boiling