With leftover hot dogs, you can repurpose them into various dishes such as hot dog sandwiches, hot dog stir-fried rice, or hot dog and egg breakfast burritos. Alternatively, you can slice and add them to soups, stews, or omelets for extra flavor and protein. Get creative and transform your leftover hot dogs into new and tasty meals.
What to do with leftover hot dogs
Sausage leftovers are versatile and can be used in various categories of dishes, depending on your preferences and what you have on hand. Here are some popular categories of dishes that work well with sausage leftovers:
These categories offer a wide range of options to transform your sausage leftovers into delicious meals and snacks. Feel free to get creative and adapt these ideas to suit your taste preferences and dietary restrictions.
1. Pasta Dishes:
- Sausage and Pasta Carbonara: Toss sliced sausage into a classic carbonara sauce with eggs, cheese, and pancetta. Try to add sausages to our Cheesecake Factory Pasta Carbonara recipe
- Sausage Alfredo: Combine sausage slices with a creamy Alfredo sauce and your choice of pasta.
2. Rice and Grain-Based Dishes:
- Kimchi Sausage Fried Rice: Dice sausages and stir-fry them with kimchi and rice for a Korean-style fried rice dish..
- Sausage Jambalaya: Use sausage as a key ingredient in this flavorful Creole rice dish with shrimp, chicken, and vegetables.
3. Casserole and Bake
- Sausage and Potato Casserole: Layer sliced sausage with potatoes, cheese, and cream sauce, then bake until bubbly.
- Sausage and Egg Breakfast Casserole: Mix sausage with eggs, bread, cheese, and seasonings, then bake for a breakfast or brunch dish.
- Sausage and Peppers: A classic Italian-American dish made by sautéing Italian sausages with bell peppers and onions. Serve it as a sandwich or over pasta.
- Sausage and Mash: A simple yet delicious dish that pairs sausages with creamy mashed potatoes and onion gravy. It’s a British comfort food staple
4. Soups and Stews:
- Sausage and Bean Soup: Add sliced or crumbled sausage to a hearty bean soup for extra flavor and protein.
- Sausage Gumbo: Incorporate sausage into this classic Louisiana stew, typically made with a roux, okra, and a variety of meats and vegetables.
- Tteokbokki with Sausage (Sundae Tteokbokki): Tteokbokki is a popular Korean street food made with chewy rice cakes in a spicy gochujang-based sauce. Sundae, Korean blood sausage, and regular sausages are often added for extra flavor and texture.
- Sausage Stew (Soon Dubu Sausage Jjigae): A spicy Korean tofu stew that can be enhanced with the addition of sliced sausages for extra protein and flavor.
- Sausage and Potato Salad: Combine diced sausage with boiled potatoes, onions, and a tangy dressing for a hearty salad.
- Sausage and Kale Salad: Toss sliced sausage with kale, roasted vegetables, and a flavorful vinaigrette dressing.
6. Pizza & Flatbreads
- Sausage Pizza: Top your homemade pizza or flatbread with sausage, cheese, and your favorite toppings.
- Sausage and Pepperoni Flatbread: Create a delicious flatbread by combining sliced sausage with pepperoni and cheese.
7. Sandwiches & Wraps
- Sausage and Pepper Sub: Make a hearty sub sandwich by filling a roll with sliced sausage, sautéed peppers, onions, and marinara sauce.
- Sausage and Egg Breakfast Burrito: Wrap scrambled eggs, sausage, cheese, and optional toppings in a tortilla for a portable breakfast.
8. Stir-Fries and Skillets
- Sausage Stir-Fry: Include sausage slices in a vegetable stir-fry with your choice of sauce.
- Sausage and Potato Skillet: Sauté sliced sausage with potatoes, onions, and bell peppers for a quick and easy skillet meal.
9. Appetizers & Finger Foods
- Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms: Hollow out mushroom caps and stuff them with a mixture of sausage and breadcrumbs before baking.
- Sausage Rolls: Create flaky pastry rolls filled with seasoned sausage meat for party appetizers.
- Toad in the Hole: A classic British dish where sausages are baked in a Yorkshire pudding batter. Serve it with onion gravy and vegetables for a comforting meal.
10. Skewers & Kabobs
- Hotdog Skewers: Thread hotdog chunks onto skewers with vegetables and grill them for a delicious kebab-style meal.
- Sausage and Pineapple Skewers: Combine sausages with chunks of pineapple and grill them for a sweet and savory skewer dish.
- Korean Corn Dogs (Hotteok Sausage Mala Corn Dogs): This popular Korean street food features sausages coated in a sweet and savory batter, which is then deep-fried and often coated in various toppings like sugar, cheese, or spicy sauce.