It’s easy to pull together this Quorn Chilli con Carne recipe – it’s vegetarian, healthy, and all the family can enjoy in 20 minutes! A mild, delicious one-pot recipe that you can cook in large batches, freeze and use on busy weeknights!
Yields: 4 portions
Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Total: 20 mins
I find this to be the healthiest and quickest homemade cheat meal around. Tasty as the classic recipe, this Quorn chilli recipe has less saturated fat and is packed with proteins (28g protein). Served the Vegetarian chilli the way you like it with tacos, burritos, quesadillas, rice, and jacket potato. Don’t forget to add some grated cheese, yogurt, guacamole, or cream.
If you like to try another dish using Quorn Pieces then try this Vegetarian Shawarma Kebab with Quorn Pieces
Why Chilli con Carne with Quorn?
This Quorn chilli con carne recipe is not only VEGETARIAN but also a lean nutritious will help you lose fat and eat healthier.
➡️ easy and quick. This easy vegetarian chilli can be served in just 20-30 minutes.
➡️ gluten-free. All the ingredients and sides suggested are completely gluten-free.
➡️ high protein. The recipe gives 28g of protein per serving.
➡️ high fiber. The Quorn mince used in this recipe is high in fiber.
➡️ low fat. Quorn meat is not only a great substitute for beef but also low in fat.
➡️ naturally sourced meat-free protein. The protein that is high in fiber, soy-free, and non-GMO.
➡️ no salt. Unlike many recipes, this version has no added salt, and adding salt to it would only spoil the recipe
➡️ freezer-friendly. Perfect for batch cooking.
Here are the ingredients for 4 portions.
Quorn. A bag of Quorn mince that can be cooked from frozen!
Onion & Garlic – Peeled and minced.
Red Pepper. Deseeded and sliced into thin strips.
Spices. The spices in this recipe make a mild chilli that all the family can enjoy. I love to use Cayenne pepper, sweet paprika, and white pepper. Add cayenne pepper if you want it hotter.
Kidney beans. Always keep these handy in the pantry as they’re really great addition to most stews, soups, and salads.
Olive Oil. Used for frying the veggies
Tomatoes. Choose a very good passata or any canned tomatoes if you can’t do your own. Organic is always the best choice. Definitely don’t choose the cheapest watery and acidic canned tomatoes since here tomatoes play a fundamental role in the taste of the dish.
How to make Quorn Chilli con Carne
Tip: Do you want a chunky vegetable chilli? Or a smoother one? I love to use it as a dip with nachos and is an excellent trick for hiding vegetables for kids and fussy eaters.
Fry the onions, red pepper, and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes until softened.
Next, add the Quorn mince, kidney beans, and tomato puree together with all the spices for 5 minutes.
Add the water, stirring thoroughly. Simmer for at least 10 minutes but leave for 15 minutes more if you have more time.
Optionally you can now transfer all the mixture to the slow cooker and cook for 4–6 hours.
Stir your chilli gently. Serve the chilli with tacos, on sweet potato, with nachos, or as a dip if you prefer.
Baked sweet potato. I love to use this chilli to fill baked sweet potato with a sprinkle of spring onions and a side of homemade guacamole for a hearty healthy weekday meal. Alternatively, I also like to serve it with plain or turmeric rice.
Quorn tacos. For weekends, or as a Mexican twist to my dinner, I like to serve the chilli with quorn in tacos,
Quorn nachos. Serve the chilli as a dip with nachos and top with sour cream and grated cheese.
Sweet potato wrap. They are ideal to pack any leftovers for lunch. Pack well using kitchen paper to eat it easily without the need of using cutlery.
- Always keep a packet of frozen Quorn mince in the freezer and tacos so you’re never too far away from delicious meals like this.
- There is no need to defrost the Quorn mince beforehand. Use it straight from the freezer.
- I like to mix all the spices in a small glass so that when I am cooking I do not have to meddle with the various spice bottles.
- Gain some time? I admit to using garlic powder occasionally when running out of time.
- It is very important to let the onion soften well without burning it or letting it stick to the pan because it will give the chilli an unwanted smoky taste.
- If you’re baking the sweet potatoes bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 40 minutes. Alternatively, you can microwave 900KW for 8 minutes. Then cut in half each baked potato and slice each top lengthways.
- For slow cooking follow all steps and then transfer the whole mixture for 4-6 hours before serving.
- Spicier. Use double the amount of cayenne pepper.
- Slow cooker Quorn chilli. Use the same recipe but put all the ingredients in a slow cooker with some extra water or tomato sauce for extra flavorsome Quorn vegetarian chilli recipe.
- Extra protein. Add another tin of kidney beans or greek yogurt for extra protein.
- Packed with veggies. Add more vegetables such as baby corn, an extra pepper, or tomatoes.
- Meat recipe. Swap the Quorn mince for beef mince for a richer more meaty chilli.
- Vegan. Omit the mince, use soy mince, or mash a Quorn burger.
Quorn is a brand that uses a meat substitute called mycoprotein. This is a naturally sourced meat-free protein derived from a natural fungus that is high in fiber, soy-free, and non-GMO.
Quorn mince is lower in fat than beef mince so is a great choice if you are following a low-fat diet. However, lentils that are frequently used in vegan chillis and stews have less fat while also containing more iron.
Quorn mince has a great meat-like texture that is perfect for cooking each of your favorite minced meat recipes. It tastes delicious on its own but it’s terrific adding some spices to it.
The Quorn chilli can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Yes, there is no need to defrost the Quorn mince first.
Quorn mince is vegetarian but not vegan. The brand has other products which are vegan like burgers. If you mash these burgers into mince they can be used as a Quorn mince alternative.
Quorn is a perfect gluten-free alternative that unlike lentils has a similar texture to meat.
More dinners to try!
- Vegetarian Shawarma Kebab with Quorn Pieces
- Mexican Beef Chilli (Beef Birria Tacos)
- Easy Vegetarian Jalfrezi Recipe
Quorn Chilli Recipe
- Stainless steel deep skillet with a glass lid.
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 300 g quorn, minced
- 500 g red kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- Fry the onions, red pepper and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the Quorn mince and kidney beans together with all the spices and tomato puree’ on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the water, stirring thoroughly. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately with baked sweet potato, rice, taco or tortilla chips. Top the chilli with guacamole, sour cream, grated cheddar and/or a sprinkle of chopped spring onions
- To use baked sweet potatoes as a side dish, bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 40 minutes. Alternatively, if you’re in a hurry you can microwave a 900KW for 8 minutes. Then cut in half each baked potato and slice each top lengthways. Fill with a generous amount of chili mixture; top each with 2 tbsp guacamole or sour sauce.