Mary Berry’s Mixed Bean and Red Pepper Chilli is a flavorful and comforting dish that is perfect for any occasion. This chilli is made with a combination of mixed salad beans, red pepper, garlic, and a blend of spices. The addition of tomato purée, mango chutney, and sweetcorn adds a unique twist to the traditional chilli recipe. Simmered to perfection, this chilli is rich, hearty, and full of delicious flavours.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 1 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon hot chilli powder
- 2 tins (800g) mixed salad beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 500 grams (1 pound 2 ounces) passata
- 300 millilitres (1/2 pint) vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 tablespoon mango chutney
- 1 tin (198 grams) sweetcorn, drained
- Small bunch of coriander, leaves chopped
- Fry onion, pepper, garlic and spices. In a deep, lidded frying pan, heat the oil over high heat. Add the onion and pepper, frying for 3–4 minutes. Add the garlic and spices, and fry for 10 seconds.
- Add liquid ingredients and beans. Add the beans, chopped tomatoes, passata, stock, purée, and mango chutney.
- Season and simmer. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover with a lid, and simmer for approximately 40 minutes.
- Add sweetcorn and coriander. Check the seasoning and add the sweetcorn and coriander, stirring well.
- Serve. Serve the hot chilli with rice, and if desired, top it with grated cheese, soured cream, and guacamole (refer to page 37 of Mary Makes It Easy).
Mary’s Tips: The chilli can be prepared up to 8 hours ahead and reheated. However, it is not suitable for freezing.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Mixed
Keywords: Vegetarian, Bean, One-pot, Dinner, Easy